My first post of 2010 (as many as three posts ago) was focused on the Monopoly board, so now that 2011 has come, perhaps it’s time for the second property along, which is Whitechapel Road, completing the brown set. Of course, rents along this thoroughfare of E1 are more than £60 now, but even having shed its 19th century reputation for criminality (a time when there were prominent slums in the area, and Jack the Ripper was committing his crimes), it’s still a relatively impoverished area. Moreover, where the community had originally comprised Jews from Spain and Portugal in the 17th century onwards (with a new influx of Eastern European Ashkenazi Jews in the 19th century), it has since the late-20th century given way to primarily Bangladeshi immigrants, and is now dominated by the smells of the many restaurants and the vibrant colours of the clothing shops and stalls of the street market (which can be found most days along the main part of the road near the Tube station).
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- Just added Thornton Heath CR7 to my site, which should please (at least one of) my followers pubology.co.uk/indexes/cr7.ht… 3 weeks ago
- Another small addition to my site is the page for DA17, which covers Belvedere (near Erith, and just east of Abbey… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- Another new page, although admittedly this took me about five minutes to research: SE28 Thamesmead pubology.co.uk/maps/se28.html 1 month ago
- Hello! Long time; been researching. I've now added E3 to my website, which is Bow, Bromley and bits of Mile End pubology.co.uk/indexes/e3.html 1 month ago
- Oh it's nice that people still follow this account even though I barely ever use it. Anyway, have added Bethnal Gre… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 months ago