The idle traveller around London is still frequently exhorted to “TAKE COURAGE” by pubs (fig. 34), and even occasionally other buildings which retain their old signage. This is, of course, no mere public-spirited advice; it is advertising. Where nowadays the imperative has been hijacked by Fuller Smith Turner’s brewers and amended to “Take Pride”,1 the original harks back to the brewery firm founded by John Courage in 1787.
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- I've added a new area to my London Pubology website, SW8 (East Battersea, South Lambeth and a bit of Vauxhall) pubology.co.uk/indexes/sw8.ht… 1 month ago
- Anyway, I've been doing updates for N7 and N19, so a few more (old) pubs will have shown up on my website… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 months ago
- I should mention I barely ever post on this account, except for updates, so if you need to contact me for some reas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 months ago
- It's been a while, but I've been doing some research and have now added Greenwich SE10 to my site pubology.co.uk/indexes/se10.h… 7 months ago
- Just added Thornton Heath CR7 to my site, which should please (at least one of) my followers pubology.co.uk/indexes/cr7.ht… 1 year ago