Unlike many of the previous topics, this one promises to be contentious, for it concerns the much discussed phenomenon of the gastropub. Everyone it seems has an opinion about them, roughly ranging from grudging acceptance to downright loathing. Given that even how to define such an establishment is itself debated, for me to discuss them I must start to offer some personal opinions, so I’m moving decisively to the first-person for this post. You may differ in your definition, but that’s to be expected. There’s no single defining element at work, though I’ve heard people trying to argue that things like serving handmade/hand-cut chips, or having a chalkboard with food specials, are the sole feature making a place a ‘gastropub’. Perhaps, though, they could feature on a checklist we might come up with, or a mathematical equation?
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- Anyway, I've been doing updates for N7 and N19, so a few more (old) pubs will have shown up on my website… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- I should mention I barely ever post on this account, except for updates, so if you need to contact me for some reas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 months ago
- It's been a while, but I've been doing some research and have now added Greenwich SE10 to my site pubology.co.uk/indexes/se10.h… 4 months ago
- Just added Thornton Heath CR7 to my site, which should please (at least one of) my followers pubology.co.uk/indexes/cr7.ht… 9 months ago
- Another small addition to my site is the page for DA17, which covers Belvedere (near Erith, and just east of Abbey… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 9 months ago