If there’s one point upon which I can immediately ease the potential reader’s mind about The Search for the Perfect Pub: Looking for The Moon Under Water, it’s that the authors Robin Turner and Paul Moody are not in search of a Wetherspoon’s. They do of course find some; whether or not you happen to believe that JD Wetherspoon’s deserve a place in any search for the ‘perfect pub’, Tim Martin’s ubiquitous chain (about whom I do still mean to do a post at some point) has at least tossed its hat in the ring for this particular competition. And while it may not in the end be their ideal, they do give Wetherspoon’s a fairly even-handed treatment. No, it’s the faceless corporatised chains that most draw their ire as, taking Orwell’s 1946 panegyric to his favourite pub The Moon Under Water as their starting point, they survey the state of the British pub at the start of the 21st century.
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- Just added Thornton Heath CR7 to my site, which should please (at least one of) my followers pubology.co.uk/indexes/cr7.ht… 4 months ago
- Another small addition to my site is the page for DA17, which covers Belvedere (near Erith, and just east of Abbey… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 4 months ago
- Another new page, although admittedly this took me about five minutes to research: SE28 Thamesmead pubology.co.uk/maps/se28.html 4 months ago
- Hello! Long time; been researching. I've now added E3 to my website, which is Bow, Bromley and bits of Mile End pubology.co.uk/indexes/e3.html 4 months ago
- Oh it's nice that people still follow this account even though I barely ever use it. Anyway, have added Bethnal Gre… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 year ago