If there’s one point upon which I can immediately ease the potential reader’s mind about The Search for the Perfect Pub: Looking for The Moon Under Water, it’s that the authors Robin Turner and Paul Moody are not in search of a Wetherspoon’s. They do of course find some; whether or not you happen to believe that JD Wetherspoon’s deserve a place in any search for the ‘perfect pub’, Tim Martin’s ubiquitous chain (about whom I do still mean to do a post at some point) has at least tossed its hat in the ring for this particular competition. And while it may not in the end be their ideal, they do give Wetherspoon’s a fairly even-handed treatment. No, it’s the faceless corporatised chains that most draw their ire as, taking Orwell’s 1946 panegyric to his favourite pub The Moon Under Water as their starting point, they survey the state of the British pub at the start of the 21st century.
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- Added another area to my site, a quicker one to research: Carshalton #SM5 pubology.co.uk/indexes/sm5.ht… 1 week ago
- Okay got my page for #SE1 up now. Lots of red markers on there, obviously. pubology.co.uk/indexes/se1.ht… 3 weeks ago
- Does anyone recognise where this sign might be from? twitter.com/balconyantique… 3 weeks ago
- Very pleased to have finally "finished" the main part of the research for SE1 so should add that to my website soon... 3 weeks ago
- RT @deadpubs: Massive update for Southwark St George Martyr pubshistory.com/LondonPubs/Sou… many thanks to @pubologyblog 1 month ago