There are of course many pub names that honour real people, often heads of state, key military figures or members of the royalty. There could easily be hundreds of entries, about each and every one of these people, but I’ve chosen to focus here on pubs named after non-literary figures1 with strong connections to London (who are named in full, and without aristocratic title, just to keep the list shorter). Links to the relevant Wikipedia entries are given with the name, for those interested in learning more about them.
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- Anyway, I've been doing updates for N7 and N19, so a few more (old) pubs will have shown up on my website… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- I should mention I barely ever post on this account, except for updates, so if you need to contact me for some reas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 month ago
- It's been a while, but I've been doing some research and have now added Greenwich SE10 to my site pubology.co.uk/indexes/se10.h… 2 months ago
- Just added Thornton Heath CR7 to my site, which should please (at least one of) my followers pubology.co.uk/indexes/cr7.ht… 8 months ago
- Another small addition to my site is the page for DA17, which covers Belvedere (near Erith, and just east of Abbey… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 8 months ago