Muriel Spark is an author I do not perhaps know enough about, but living near Peckham I was inspired to read her novella The Ballad of Peckham Rye (1960). I should really have paid attention earlier, for she has a wonderful turn of phrase. Also, quite apart from providing an acutely observed story of interlocking characters working at various factories in the Peckham area, whose relationships are soon rent asunder by the anti-heroic protagonist Dougal Douglas, it also makes reference to the changing character of this working class neighbourhood in the middle part of the 20th century, both its commercial life and its pubs.
This is the London Pubology blog, very slowly dedicating itself to all things in the intersection of PUB and LONDON.
For lists of pubs by postcode area, visit my London Pubology site.
I have another blog of my film reviews over at Ewan at the Cinema.
NOTE: Please be aware that this blog is unaffiliated with pubology.com and was set up in ignorance of this other fine site of the same name. To distinguish the two, I have slightly renamed my own blog "London Pubology". Many apologies to the (late) creator of this site, and to his friends and family.
BlogrollThese are just some of the many blogs I also enjoy reading on a regular basis. I've put them into some basic categories.
- I've added a new area to my London Pubology website, SW8 (East Battersea, South Lambeth and a bit of Vauxhall) pubology.co.uk/indexes/sw8.ht… 1 month ago
- Anyway, I've been doing updates for N7 and N19, so a few more (old) pubs will have shown up on my website… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 months ago
- I should mention I barely ever post on this account, except for updates, so if you need to contact me for some reas… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 6 months ago
- It's been a while, but I've been doing some research and have now added Greenwich SE10 to my site pubology.co.uk/indexes/se10.h… 7 months ago
- Just added Thornton Heath CR7 to my site, which should please (at least one of) my followers pubology.co.uk/indexes/cr7.ht… 1 year ago